Gainesville Semi Truck Accidents
Committed To The Injured®
Commercial Truck Accident Attorney in Gainesville, Florida
Tractor Trailer Accidents occur on a regular basis, and owing the size of the vehicles involved, often cause very serious injuries or death. In addition to devastating physical injuries, those involved in truck accidents also have to contend with severe emotional and financial stress as a result of the collision. In most cases, accident victims will need an experienced attorney to handle their lawsuit. Our Tractor Trailer Accident lawyers at the Eberts Law Firm can help you get the compensation you deserve, as well as keeping the careless actions of a negligent truck driver go unpunished.
Common Causes of Truck Accidents
Some truck accidents are simply accidents, the results of bad weather or hazardous road conditions unknown to the drivers of the vehicles involved. However, if you believe the accident was caused by a negligent truck driver, you are entitled to seek compensation for damages and hold them liable. Examples of truck driver negligence include:
- Driving while under the influence of alcohol or other substances
- Driving while distracted
- Speeding, such as if the driver is behind schedule
- Changing lanes recklessly
- If the driver is sleepy or fatigued to the point where they should not be driving
Other ways the trucking company can be held liable for tractor trailer accidents don’t even involve the drivers themselves. If the trucks themselves have defects that cause them to not operate correctly, if they haven’t been properly maintained, or if their cargo was not packed or secured properly, this can also result in accidents.
Proving Truck Driver Negligence
During the accident investigation process, an attorney will review police and accident reports, interview witnesses and investigate the accident scene, examine driver credentials, and determine if traffic laws were obeyed. Companies that use tractor trailers are required to follow strict guidelines regarding driving hours and vehicle maintenance, and may try to falsify records to protect themselves. Proving negligence in a truck accident can be more complicated than a regular car accident, owing to the multiple parties involved including the trucking company, the truck driver, the manufacturer of the truck itself, and you. The steps you should take are:
- Investigate: After the accident, call an attorney immediately. They will conduct their own in-depth investigation, including making sure your insurance company is giving your fair evaluation for your damages and not short-changing you to limit their liability.
- File A Claim: When the investigation is completed, and your attorney has the evidence they need, they will file a claim in court. The claim will demand compensation for the damages that are owed to you, including material losses like vehicle damage and any expenses related to medical car. The claim will assert the trucking company’s negligence and liability for the accident.
- Negotiations: Your claim can be settled in multiple ways. If your attorney can come to an agreement with the insurance company, the case will be resolved out of court with a financial settlement. If a compromise cannot be made, your case will be taken to court in which a judge or jury will determine what you are owed.
- Litigation: This step only occurs if your case goes to court. Your attorney and the insurance company will present their cases, and the judge or jury determine who is responsible for the accident and the amount of compensation that is owed.
Experienced Commercial Truck Accident Attorneys in Gainesville, Florida
We will answer any questions you may have, explain your legal rights, and help you through every step of this difficult process. We are committed to each client and helping them receive the compensation they deserve.
If you have been injured in a tractor trailer accident, contact The Eberst Law Firm online or call our Gainesville office at 772-225-4900 to discuss your case in a free consultation with one of our experienced Gainesville truck accident attorneys.